How to Pass Your Health and Safety Checks
Residents it’s that time of year where we will be having our more detailed health and safety check. The detailed health and safety check will be taking place during the month of March in order to continually improve our communities. This health and safety check will consist of three Residence Life and Dining Services staff entering the apartment and making notes for facility improvements, maintenance, and the health of our community. You do not have to be present during these inspections. The apartment entry will occur between 9:00 am and 4:30 pm.
Schedule for inspections:
March 2-6 Spanish Walk
March 9-13 River Village
March 23-27 Landmark
March 26-31 Bison Run
What the apartment staff will be looking at during the check:
* Function of fire safety equipment
* Condition of kitchen area
o Stove and oven are free of blockage or debris that could cause fire.
o Kitchen sink and cabinet area to confirm water drains and there are no leaks or blockages that could cause property damage.
o Areas are clean to prevent pests.
* Condition of bathroom(s)
o Bathroom sink and cabinet area to confirm water drains and there are no leaks or blockages that could cause property damage.
o Tub and shower area to confirm there are no leaks or blockages.
o Bathroom is clean and not a health concern.
* Overall condition of apartment, flooring, appliances and furniture. Apartment should show signs of regular cleaning.
* There are no prohibited items in the apartment as outlined in the lease agreement and Student’s Responsibilities and Rights.
Things you can do to ensure you pass the health and safety check:
* Clean your apartment to the extent that you would feel comfortable showing it off to a stranger. The apartment should show signs of regular cleaning of the bathrooms, floors, appliances, and counters.
* Make sure there are no prohibited items in the apartment. Prohibited items are outlined in the lease as well as the Student’s Rights and Responsibilities. If you have any questions about prohibited items please contact your ALA or the front desk.
o Possession of candles and incense are prohibited in the university apartments. Candles with unburned wicks, wax, and Scentsy’s are allowed.
o Stairways and doorways must be free of obstruction and combustible material.
o No grills are allowed. No storing of flammable liquids or containers such as fuel, solvents, or other highly combustible substances is allowed in and around the apartment.
o Clothing, banners, flags, or blankets may not be displayed in windows or hung or placed outside the building.
o Weapons (including all swords) and ammunition are prohibited in the university apartments.
Once the apartment staff has completed the inspection they will leave either a red or green sheet on the back of your front door. Green means you passed and you do not have to do any follow ups with your ALA. Red means that you have a week to correct any problems that were noted. There will be a date noted on the sheet to when your ALA will be doing the follow up. Make sure to remove any prohibited items before your ALA comes back for a follow up.
If you make sure that your apartment is clean and has no prohibited items you will pass the health and safety check with flying colors. These inspections are to insure you and future tenants continue to enjoy the UW living experience!
Spanish Walk ALA